Friday, February 12, 2010

An Ode to Ham

SMOKED WHOLE PICNIC HAM how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways...

I LOVE you sliced with a side of scalloped potatoes & peas
I LOVE you diced in a Potato & Ham casserole covered in cheese
I LOVE you simmered in a Split Pea Soup, "pass the biscuits please!"

All joking aside...as a busy mother of 2 young children I'm learning the benefits of roasting a whole picnic style ham.  Buying a whole ham is economical (watch for sales!) and is SO versatile.  The last time I baked a ham I managed to squeeze 4 meals out of it and then  ground up the last few slices with mayo & relish for sandwiches, something that my mom used to do. 

Here is one of my FAVE recipes for leftover ham:

HAM AND POTATOES

Pure comfort food, so cheesy, rich and delicious!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter a 2.5 quart casserole dish, set aside.

4 tbsp butter
1.5 lbs ham cubed
1 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2.5 cups milk
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup sliced celery
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
6 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat, add onions, celery and green pepper and saute until slightly softened (about 5 min.), stir in flour and cook for 1 min.  Whisk in milk, salt, pepper and dry mustard and stir until thickened.  Remove from heat and add Worcestershire and cheese, stir until cheese is melted.  Partially cover potatoes, add 1tbsp of water and cook in microwave for about 10 min. Drain potatoes and add to cheese sauce, along with ham.  Spread into buttered casserole dish.  Bake uncovered for 30 min.  Serves 4

(Recipe courtesy of my mom)









 

No comments:

Post a Comment