Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Favourite Spaghetti Sauce


I have fond childhood memories of this sauce simmering all afternoon in my mom's big red- orange Le Crueset cast iron pot.  

I'm not sure where this recipe "originally" came from, but it was handwritten by my mom into a brown-covered notebook that she has always had on her cookbook shelf.  I'm thinking that one day she needs to publish that notebook cause it's chock full of AMAZING recipes that she has gathered over the past 40 years. 

Lots of ingredients in this sauce, a few might even seem a bit questionable, like HP sauce??  Trust me, once it's all simmered down you'll agree that it's an AMAZING sauce.   This recipe makes a HUGE batch, at least 8 cups, so you will have enough for a big dinner and leftovers to pop in the freezer.

Try it, you'll like it!!...Sorry, I've been watching too much "Yo Gabba, Gabba" with my 3yr old:)

 
Spaghetti Sauce

1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 Large can tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato sauce (213 ml)
1 can tomato paste (156 ml)
1 pkg. spaghetti sauce mix
1/4 tsp crushed chilies
1 tsp HP Sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pot over medium heat.  Saute garlic, onion, green pepper until softened, add ground beef and cook until browned. 

Add rest of ingredients plus 2 cups of water and simmer until thickened, at least 1 hour.  Serve over hot spaghetti.

3 comments:

  1. I love trying new spaghetti sauces and testing them on my family - this looks pretty good so I'll give it a go! I have the yellow Le Creuset dutch oven and am beyond totally in love with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a very interesting spaghetti sauce. Is it spicy? The chilies make me think it's a bit on the spicy side, which would be something I would love but my kids not so much. Let me know - I have no problem making 2 batches of sauce for the freezer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista, the chilis give it some extra flavour and a little bit of bite, but it's definately NOT spicy. My 3 year old eats it no problem:)

    ReplyDelete