Saturday, February 6, 2010

Food Processor Cheddar Cheese Tea Biscuits

I LOVE biscuits, my mom made them all the time when I was growing up.  Preparing biscuits in a food processor is a technique I learned from one of my uncles, they turn out so tender and are so easy!  These biscuits are great with soup or stew and leftovers can be used for biscuit egg sandwiches the next morning.

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup shredded old Cheddar cheese
1 cup milk

In food processor mix together flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper.  Mix in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, add cheddar cheese and milk and mix to form soft, slightly sticky ragged dough.

Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface.  Gently pat out into 1/2-inch thick round.  Using 2-inch floured cutter, cut out rounds.  Place on ungreased baking sheet.  Gather up scraps and repat dough; cut out more rounds, pressing remaining scraps into final biscuit. 

Bake in centre of 425 degree F oven for 12-15 min or until golden.  Let cool on pan on racks. 

Makes about 12 tea biscuits. 

(Recipe adapted from The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook : 350 inspired recipes from Elizabeth Baird and the kitchen Canadians trust most / Elizabeth Baird.  ISBN 0679311173 copyright 2001, page.261)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sending me a link to your blog! I look forward to reading your thoughts often! I love biscuits too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice work angela! they look yummy! my mom made biscuits all the time too when I was young - we smothered them in butter and honey, or butter and jam. I make them all the time still usually with soup or veggie chilli. Sometimes we just have homemade biscuits for supper - YUMMERS! - brandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at that picture - I need to go buy a food processor stat! YUM!

    ReplyDelete